Dr. King and his Co-Principal Investigator (Co-PI), Dr. Robert Morgan of Southern Illinois University, were awarded a grant (Research to Enhance the Impact and Diversification of Psychology and Law Research) from the American Psychology–Law Society (AP-LS), Division 41 of the American Psychological Association (APA) for their proposal, Serious Video Game Technology for Correctional Assessment and Treatment: Project Choices.
Project Choices is a serious video game technology for correctional assessment and treatment, focused on decision-making circa reentry to the community from incarceration. It incorporates a bibliotherapy form of the evidence-based cognitive behavioral treatment program for justice-involved persons developed by Dr. Morgan and his colleagues, Changing Lives and Changing Outcomes (CLCO).
The funded project has several aims.
- Expand the number of scenarios featured in the adult version of Project Choices.
- Make more user-friendly the export of player performance metrics for Project Choices.
- Adapt Project Choices into a version for justice-involved youth.
- Ready Project Choices and Project Choices: Youth Version for dissemination to the field.
- Amass materials for an evaluation of the assessment utility of the Project Choices technology.